Sunday, July 20, 2008

Biking, Baby Break and Awesome Grandparents!

Yesterday Shayne went mountain biking with Tim & Christine to Ingolf. I knew it would be too much for me with all of the technical aspects of the ride. In addition, the last time Shayne and his buddies went there, they were on the trail for 5 hours. Yesterday was no different and they came back with tales of mud drenched bikes and bodies, worn to the bone tired...not my idea of a FUN day mountain biking, but Shayne was in heaven!

Shayne had it set up for his parents to keep Nalley yesterday while we were out. Since I didn't go biking, I wasn't sure if they would still want to keep her or not. But they graciously offered to keep her anyway and give me 4 hours to myself...to do whatever I wanted. I just can't tell you how nice that was. It is only the 2nd time in over a year that I have not had Nalley with me and have not had anything planned...that needed to be done. I mean, I have had breaks from her before, but always to run an errand, go to the doctor, etc...I am soooo grateful to Brent and Wendy (and neighbor Dianne) for that wonderful break. With my mom and dad being 1500 miles away (sniff, sniff) and me not being the type that is very comfortable asking for help, even when I am desperate for it...the day in and day out responsibility of caring for a baby, even a GREAT baby like Nalley, can take a toll. I know that EVERY mother out there has felt overwhelmed before. I guess that's just a lesson to stubborn me to suck it up and just ASK for the help. That is the independant part of me that doesn't want to rely on or burden anyone else...silly, I know!


Nalley ADORES her Grandma & Grandpa!!! She can be in a cranky mood or whiny, or tired but ANY time Grandma walks into the room, she lights up like a lightbulb, throws her arms out and almost jumps to get at her. It is the cutest thing ever! And Grandpa makes her belly laugh with his funny voices and sweet little ways with her, it is precious. They have always had a way with Maybel and spoiled her rotten. She has always spent lots of time with them and been very close. Grandma started taking her to swimming lessons when she was 18 months old, (and to Starbucks around that same time...lol)and Maybel quickly became Grandma's shopping buddy! Now Maybel is scared to stay over night there because she got sick once (over 2 years ago)...and she's getting her indepence now too. But it is adorable to see the process start over with Nalley because at least for now (until she gets to be 8 or so...lol) the world revolves around Grandma and Grandpa.


It also makes me a little sad to think about all that my parents are missing out on with Nalley! They would give anything to be able to see the girls regularly. But no matter what, my kids will never get to spend the same amount of time with them or get to know them as well as they do with Grandma and Grandpa. It was the same for me too...my mom's parents were 10 minutes away and we saw them all the time. My grandmother came to see me everyday as a baby and we stayed with them almost every weekend...they were a stable fixture in our lives. My dad's mom on the other hand, lived 8 hours away and we saw her 1 or 2 times a year. We loved her, but just didn't really know her that well. It is easier to stay in touch these days with internet, digital pictures, free long distance, etc...and we try as much as we can. It is way easier with Maybel because she can call Nana and Papa and write them letters, etc... With Nalley though, I just point to their picture all the time and tell her who they are. I guess that will have to do until she's older. We're all looking forward to the fall when we go down for Thanksgiving. It will be a good opportunity to spend some quality time with Nana and Papa!

1 comment:

Laura said...

If I loved closer, I would love to babysit that cutie-patootie and give you a well-deserved break.

It's nice you got to grow up with grandparents so close. Someday I am going to write a book about my Grandma -- I am pretty sure she is the devil is disguise. I am so not joking.

5 hours of biking? huh. My body can't seem to comprehend that.