Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Magnolia Designs has Branched Out

I guess that I have just forgotten to blog about my business, Magnolia Designs, having taken a turn earlier in the year. I started out just over 2 years ago with my pottery studio in my basement. I do custom hand-painted pottery, specializing in children's hand, foot, and finger prints. It has been a success, so far. I do have to admit though that it isn't what I had imagined it to be... all fun and no stress. In that respect, I am happy that it is the size that it is and that it is in my home, and not in a retail location that I am bound to all the time.

With my business, I do it all. From the initial appointment to design each piece, to background painting and all the artwork and hand-lettering, to glazing each piece (by brush, I don't use dipping glaze because the results are much more consistant and beautiful by hand...albeit, MUCH MUCH more time consuming), to firing, etc... Because of that, it takes a lot of my time for each order.
Last winter, I started designing digital scrapbook layouts, note cards and invitations (for my kids and for gifts) and was approached by some of my customers to start carrying scrapbooking and paper supplies. Well, I guess you can say that after some careful consideration, I did jump at the chance. It is a passion that I share with LOTS of other people. Scrapbooking (both digital and paper) is THE LARGEST growing hobby in the world right now.
I carry (or can carry) a TON of major brands like the following:

I will also be offering a beginner's digital scrapbooking workshop this fall for all who would like to learn the basics of Digi Scrapping. We will be doing a layout together and learning basic fundamental skills needed to build on for more advanced techniques. E-mail me if you are interested and I will give you the specifics, when I have them ironed out.
In addition, I am also entertaining the idea of "hosting" crops at on & off-site locations. If you are interested, please let me know so that we can brainstorm together.


2 comments:

Laura said...

I am so impressed. You really should consider doing a kit club and then a crop based on that kit. I have heard that is the way to go.

I also want to add *cough cough* that I am available for guest teaching ;)

I am so excited for you.

A few of my blog readers are interested in you pottery. I think you should start a web site for that...your stuff is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

very cool. I was just asking Laura about Magnolia Designs and where I could find your stuff after searching high and low on this blog! You should do Etsy! ~Dusti