Monday, April 20, 2009

Back at Home and a Baby Quilt Finished

We are back home after a stint at Shayne's parents' house. We were graciously welcomed in to stay with them while our house was being shown. We moved back in to our house last night and I'm thrilled to report that we got 3 offers last night and our house is sold...conditional on financing, but they were all pre-approved, so it should be a non issue, but we'll know for sure on Wednesday.

Before we left, I started this baby quilt for my girlfriend Kellee's new little girl...if you're reading this Kellee, just act surprised when you open it! It is a stacked coin quilt using the Basic Grey "Sultry" line by Moda. I love it so much that I almost don't want to give it away.

I added some raggy flowers with botton centers to one corner...I got the inspiration from this site. Elizabeth had a "preview freebie" of her tutorial for these flowers posted on her blog for a few days. If you'd like to see how she did it you can purchase her tutorial from her blog. I used my Big Shot and a scalloped circle die to cut out my shapes and then added some buttons in the middle to make them look more like flowers...it was so easy!

I pieced the back and used a strip of the "coins" for the back...I love this look...not my original idea by any means, but certainly telling of my style (which is NOT the traditional quilting look AT ALL!!!)

I took these pictures first thing this morning before Nalley woke up and got into the mix so there was no natural lighting. The pictures aren't that great, but I was so antsy to get them posted.


I don't know if you'll be able to see any of the quilting detail, but I used a wonky, side-to-side, no particular fashion, kind of meandering pattern and I LOVE IT! It was so simple and you just can't mess it up. I am really wanting to learn to stipple, but I didn't have the heart to try it on this one. I think I'll make some little baby quilts for Nalley and try it out on them.
This was a trial for the larger quilt I am making in the same pattern (stacked coin) for Maybel to match her new bedding for the new house! I am also working on some other cute projects so stay tuned!







2 comments:

AJ said...

That is absolutely adorable!!! Love the little button flowers!

Elizabeth Cranmer said...

The quilt is fabulous! Clean and funky and your die cut flowers are adorable!! Glad you caught the freebie!! Can't wait to see your bigger quilt!

P.S. Thanks for the plug! I feel famous!