Thursday, April 22, 2010

Extra, Extra

You can read all about it in the Winnipeg Free Press soon. Lindor Reynolds, a lovely columnist from the Winnipeg Free Press, came to our home today, along with a staff photographer, to interview me in regards to the Quilting for Babes Project. It was a wonderful feeling to know that the interest and enthusiasm that I have for this project will be shared with many alike. This is not a self-serving project. Don't get me wrong, I have gained a great deal from this project through the blessings I have received...that is inherent in the whole process of giving, I believe. But as I was reminded this morning, it has taken countless hours of my time. From blogging about it, to looking at the blogs of the women who have pledged and donated, to commenting to make sure I properly thank everyone, to the actual sewing (and that part has only yet begun)... It is a labor of love, to be certain. But apart from being with my family, it has been the most rewarding endeavor I have undertaken.


Thank you very much Lindor, it was delightful to meet you and share this journey with you. And while I am thanking people, let me again thank you, Amber, for taking this project on and loving it as much as I do. It wouldn't be nearly as successful if you hadn't! Thank you for all the hours you have put in as well!


My sweet little man was so happy this morning. He was all ready and spiffy for his 5 minutes of fame!

And of course Nalley had to be in on the action, in all her cuteness and curls...man those things are wild (but gorgeous...)!

A HUGE shout out to Carly of Citric Sugar, for these THREE beautiful quilt tops (+ 2 blocks) that she sent us for QFB. She just went all out...these pics are from her blog, I didn't take any pictures of the tops all sewn up as she sent them to me. Thanks so much Carly!




And last, but not least, this is a bag I made last night with a super cute (but really CRAZY) pattern. It is made by the same person that made the pattern for the clutches that Amber made here. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE how it came out...BUT I have several things to say about the pattern... First, it is a computer generated pattern but doesn't include seam allowances! WHAT? How can you draw a pattern on the computer, but not include seam allowances? It isn't that hard to throw in a 1/4" SA after you've done all the hard work of drawing the pattern. She tells you to tape 2 pencils together and trace around the pattern with one, and the other pencil will give you a 1/4" allowance... OKAY, maybe so, if you are drafting your own pattern at home. Maybe. But really...? Secondly, the wording of the pattern and it's clarity, are muddy, at best. I bought it as a pattern for "experienced sewers". Okay, I get it, pay less for a pattern if you are experienced and don't need all the explainations of common procedures...but some continuity and clarity are just fundamental.

And lastly, which was VERY frustrating to me, was that the PDF pattern, printed as specified with "no margins" did not fit together. I had to e-mail the pattern maker to ask her to send me the original "whole" pattern, which I had my hubby print at work. In the end, I couldn't be happier with the final result. I made the bag with some fabric that I liked, but not my Amy Butler cherry full moon polka dots and slate morning glory that I purchased for it. I wanted to make it first to see how complicated it was. Not complicated at all, just frustrating that I couldn't just print it out, and do it...there was a LOT of unneccesary work involved. So, I am seeing an Amy Butler version coming in the near future!

2 comments:

Michelle @ Periwinkle said...

glad things are going well there!

Janet said...

I sent you a parcel today. Hopefully it gets there before the end of April. Canada Post is so reliable (not).