Sunday, April 4, 2010

Heartbroken...

I am truly heartbroken as I sit and write this post. We had a fantastic Easter with our family...the kids had a blast. But I found out this afternoon that a friend from HS lost his battle with cancer yesterday. My hometown in Calhoun, Georgia is small. His mother was my kindergarten teacher at First Baptist Church, his father was my driving instructor at Calhoun HS. Although I did not know him as the godly man he had become, his family holds a very dear place in my heart.

I have never met his precious wife, or his 3 sweet children. I have no pictures to post. I just have a broken heart for 3 little ones who didn't get to wake up on Easter Sunday with their daddy.

He was 38. They found out he had lung cancer in October, after a cough just wouldn't go away. After several chemo treatments, they found out in March that the tumor had not gone away, it had in fact gotten larger and the cancer had spread to the small intestines. They were told that it was now only a matter of time and their focus should be on quality of life. Since I found out last week that Shane's time on earth would be short, I have spent hours thinking of his family, and what things need to change in my life.

I need to spend more of that QUALITY time with my kids and my husband. I need to let go of the things that are not important...like the clutter of toys and the crumbs and laundry that plague my existence. They will not go away...if I focus on those things, I am not focused on what matters. I am sure that Shane never once wished he'd cleaned up the crumbs more frequently. I'm sure he spent plenty of time in his last days, making sure he was doing things with his kids that they would remember forever. Teaching them all of the things in life that carry weight and are of eternal importance.

I will be donating one of the baby quilts from the Quilting for Babes project on behalf of Shane's children, to honor their father. I hope it will in some way help to lessen their pain.

3 comments:

Christina said...

I lost my [step]dad to cancer almost 8 years ago. He is my son's namesake and so not a day goes by that I don't remind myself how precious our time here is. But I do still worry about the crumbs and the to-do lists, but I also have a greater appreciation for making sure to take time out for my family because you never know what tomorrow may bring. :)

Amber said...

Oh how sad...and thanks for the reminder to make our time with our family be the one that counts the most!

CitricSugar said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. My family has had cancer tear into it, but we've never had to lose someone so young. I'm adding his family to my prayers. I think donating one of the quilts on their behalf is a beautiful gesture.