Friday, April 23, 2010

In The Press

Quilting for Babes is getting some local attention today. As I mentioned in my post yesterday, Lindor Reynolds, columnist at the Winnipeg Free Press wrote this piece to bring more attention to our not-so-little project. I am honored, but at the same time humbled.

I have learned so much in this process. I have learned new techniques for quilting (never done a tumbler or a pinwheel before). More importantly, I have learned that there is more good in the world than bad. We often hear of all the terrible things and people, but not nearly often enough do we here of everyday people, giving of themselves to help out with another's passionate projects.

Not only have sooo many of you quilting blogger pitched in and donated not just blocks, but whole quilted baby quilts. And yes, I know that a giveaway adds some spice, but when it comes down to it, I'm sure that wasn't a primary motivation for many of you. I bet if there were no hope of winning something, you would have done it anyway.

It isn't too late...if you would still like to donate, please do. If you don't have time to sew, we have a need for fabric for backs and binding (my stash is not nearly as big as most of yours...LOL...but I'm working of that to the shagrin of my husband!) or for batting. If you don't want to mail that, you could send a small monitary donation and I can pick some stuff up. Also we are collecting sleepers in 0-3 month sizes...whatever you feel led to do is a great help.

I can't speak highly enough of the wonderful women (and men) who have put their love into this project. Thank you. So very much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The quilt your baby received at the hospital likely came from the Manitoba Prairie Quilters. They make and donate hundreds of quilts each year. They would welcome you to join in their projects.

Debbie in Chico/Sacto said...

Thanks for the comments Kathy. And yes, I would gladly teach you to free motion quilt, although something tells me you'll be a wiz at it soon. Great job on your Quilts for Babes project. Clearly one person with one vision can create wonders.