Friday, May 21, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival

I am so excited to participate in Amy's Quilt Festival again. I am probably the least skilled quilter that participates, but I think it is so much fun join along with such a FABULOUS community of quilters. I have seen first hand how amazingly generous and kind-hearted all of you blogging quilters (and quilters in general) are with all of the participants who have and continue to freely and generously donate to my Quilting for Babes Project.


My quilt entry is not anything new, in fact, you're probably sick of seeing it...LOL! However, it is special to me because it has sort of come to personify the QFB project in my heart. While it was still just a quilt top, it was photographed for the write up in the Winnipeg Free Press. It was also my first attempt at pinwheels, which are so much fun by the way.


It isn't a technical quilt, but none of mine are. It isn't a large quilt, it didn't take me much time, the quilting is just straight lines, following the seams. So, really, it would never "win" anything in a quilt show, but it has won a large place in my heart. I hope that it will find it's home with a very special baby that will love it and cherish it, and someday read this post and know how special it has become to me.

I am so looking forward to spending some time this long weekend to look at all the beautiful entries, and read the stories of what makes them special to their creator. There are always so many, it takes forever, but it is SO worth it. So, if you've never participated in Amy's Quilt Festival, go on over there and check it out. It is so much fun!
ETA: Please don't think I am knocking my quilts, my quilting, or myself...I don't quilt for other people...I quilt for myself, and try hard not to compare myself to others. In fact, I love simple. I think that simple doesn't mean easy, it doesn't mean plain. Simple is beautiful and I think this quilt is beautiful, for lots of reasons. In the 10 years since I made my very first quilt, I have never done elaborate, or fancy, it's just not my style...that's all.

31 comments:

That Girl said...

I think it's just beautiful! And the fact that you love it makes it that much more special!

Jennifer :)

Amber said...

It's gorgeous Kathy - and you don't give yourself enough credit...your quilts are beautiful!

Janet said...

Yes it is beautiful. I love the orange polka dot binding.

Kathy said...

I love colorful quilts like yours. They are especially striking when done up in a simple and classic pattern such as the pinwheel. Some lucky baby will love your quilt, I am sure of that!

Michelle said...

Lovely, lovely pinwheels. You may be a novice, but no one would ever know it by looking at that quilt. :-)

Melinda said...

Great quilt - I love the pinwheels and especially the binding.

Carol said...

Love pinwheel quilts.
It's more important to quilt for yourself and what makes you happy than to quilt for a show.

Lonci said...

It is beautiful:)

Sharon said...

It's a beauty! And it was made with love. That's the REAL beauty of it. You should be proud of yourself. And I agree....simple is great!

Candi said...

I'm a huge fan of simple traditional patterns and your quilt is really lovely!

Gale's Goodies said...

Cute quilt-- love the fabric choice and the design. Thanks for sharing your quilt.

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

Sweet quilt! I love the fabrics. And your binding looks so perfect!

Martine said...

la simplicité de ce quilt et l'association des couleurs et superbe
félicitations

Barb said...

delicious pinwheels!
beautiful photography

sjr585 said...

love it! Bright and cheerful!!

Pat said...

I never tire of pinwheel quilts. They are always special and the fabrics you used really make it sparkle.

SewCalGal said...

Lovely fabrics, beautiful colors. Delightful quilt.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Sandra Schwab said...

What a cheerful, pretty quilt!

Deborah said...

It's beautiful! I love the colors!

Leslie said...

it looks great...the straight lines are perfect for the pinwheels

Heather said...

I love your colors and the pinwheels! Whoever receives this beautiful quilt is very lucky.

Katie B. said...

I love a simple quilt, and this one is beautiful.

mjb said...

It's such a great project that you're doing!

Karen said...

Beautiful pinwheels made with great fabric. I love pinwheels. Its a great quilt.

Felicity said...

Very nice fabric choices!

Jodi said...

Kathy, it's wonderful! I love it!

Monika said...

Who could not love pinwheels??
It is a beautiful quilt and sometimes the most simple looking are in effect the hardest to achieve.
Saying that, it is not the complex of a block that makes the quilt ~ it is the love that goes into it and the love after.
Pat yourself on the back for even achieving this!!

Anne at Film and Thread said...

It looks fantastic and much of the time, the simpler designs show off the beautiful fabrics much better, so I love it!

Sandra said...

What a cheery spring quilt-I'm amazed how many pinwheels are in this festival. It looks like it is 3 layers and quilted-the definition of quilt.
Come see my antique entries
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

Sandra said...

What a cheery spring quilt-I'm amazed how many pinwheels are in this festival. It looks like it is 3 layers and quilted-the definition of quilt.
Come see my antique entries
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com

Sharon said...

Love your quilt...bright and cheerful!