Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Happiness for My Head

Oh my goodness...these pillowcases make me happy! They were so quick and easy to make and that is something I need a little more of in my life! I followed this tutorial over at Little Birdie Secrets. She has a ton of cute projects and they are all right up my alley! I haven't had a ton of time on my hands lately to catch up on my blog reading, etc...but when I have a spare moment, I'll be going back!


I knew I had to make these pillowcases JUST so that I could put this EXTRA CUTE little crocheted edging on them! They are to die for. Mmmm. I have seen these pillowcases on several sites, and gathered a couple of useful tidbits for execution. Actually, the only thing I really took from any tutorial was the length of yarn to cut for my blanket stitch foundation. I did my own thing after that, and created a "Kathy-style wing it" picot edge, cause I'm like that, and all! If you're NOT looking to wing it, You Go Girl has a whole series of tutorials from pillowcase construction to finishing edge...


I wish I had taken some pictures so that I could have done a tutorial on my method, but if you want the details, here they are. I followed this tutorial for construction of the pillowcases (I would make them a tad smaller in both length and width next time, but that's just personal preference). Next I put my wing needle in my sewing maching unthreaded, and set the machine to the longest stitch length (which on my machine is approximately 1/4") with a 1/4" allowance. The wing needle punches small holes all the way around the perimeter of the pillowcase, to make your blanket stitch even and neat. Then, I cut about 10 times the circumference of the pillowcase (multiply the width x2) of a lightweight mercerized cotton yarn (I used Grace by Patons). Thread a doll makers or darning needle with yarn and work a blanket stitch all the way around. Since these stitches are going to be a foundation for a crocheted edge, you do not want them to be loose at all. Lastly, work the crochet edge around. This was the pattern I created for these pillowcases. Insert hook in blanket stitch at seam, attach with a slip stitch (sl) , single crochet (sc) in each blanket stitch around. Row 2: Join with slip stitch (sl), chain 2 (ch 2), double crochet (dc) in each (sc) around, join with slip stitch (sl). Row 3: *Slip stitch (sl) in first (dc), chain four (ch 4), slip stitch (sl) in same stitch {this makes the picot}, single crochet (sc) in next two (dc)**, repeat from * around, join with slip stitch (sl) and tie off.


The most time consuming part of it all was the blanket stitch around the edge, after that, I cranked out the edging in 1/2 hour.

Make some pillowcases, they'll make your head happy!

Oh and BTW...I made these to match the quilt I am making for our bed. It is a KING size bed, so I have been putting it off, but these were to kick my butt into gear. It's not like I have anything else to do.........................

4 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Lovely! The lace edging is perfect.

Sophie said...

These are darling, and your blog is beyond lovely. Thank you for sharing!

www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

Magnolia Designs said...

Thank you Sophie, I appreciate the sweetness...you made my day!

Kristie said...

Kathy, these turned out so amazing!!! Now, if only you could make time to SLEEP on them.....
:-)